Sunday, October 25, 2009

THE SHERIFF - 20/365

"It's my job to make sure things go according to plan. I don't care about you, what you have to do, where you have to go, who you have to see or how important your plans are. Nothing is more important than making sure things running smoothly and the only way that's going to happen is if you are doing what you're supposed to be doing.

I don't care if what you're supposed to be doing isn't in your best interest or even the world's best interest - that's somebody else's job. My job is to make sure things go according to plan. Good plan or bad plan - makes no difference to me."

My Reflection:

Occasionally I set out to accomplish something and have a pretty good idea how it's supposed to go. I create a goal, make a list, create a time-line and then go about setting things into motion. Then, out of the blue, someone questions what I'm doing or things don't fall into place but I keep going, blind to the little red flags that have been posted. Like The Sheriff, I have a "plan" and no matter what, I'm going to stay the course.

Pretty soon more red flags appear, it feels like I'm swimming in mud instead of water and the "goal" feels impossible to reach. I'm not a glutten for punishment so that's usually when I abort the mission. But how many missions were needlessly aborted? How many past goals could have been met if I had just "adjusted" my course?

Perhaps if I pay attention to the flags, ponder the questions or question the doubts there will be fewer aborted missions and more accomplished goals.

Question:
How flexible are you in relationship to your goals?

No comments: