Tuesday, November 10, 2009

THE ANTICIPATOR 36/365


"I can't wait to see what's going to happen next. What do you think is going to happen huh...huh...huh? It's so exciting - just thinking about it is enough to send me over the edge. In fact, I don't think I want it to ACTUALLY happen - I think I'd just like to anticipate it happening...that's much more fun. Don't you think?"

My Reflection:

There's something about the anticipation of an event that can be more exciting than the event itself. Why is that?

Maybe things play out better in my imagination than they ever could in reality. Is that a bad thing? Should I keep my expectations low so that I'm not disappointed by the actual event? Or, am I projecting into the future too much and need to be more present? That's always the case so I guess I can count on that being an accurate statement.

There are times when I have an experience that is more than I could have ever expected and it always feels joyful. Like buying a lipstick and an extra one for free. How can I get that to happen more often?

Question:
Are you pleasantly surprised or regularly disappointed?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I would like to think that I let myself get pleasantly surprised.
As to you statement about should my expectationa stay low so that I am not to teribly disappointed or keep them elevated. For myself, I have to think high, otherwise, I lower myself as a person, in other words I am not thinking much of myself. If you don't think highly of yourself than your saying why would good things happen because I am not worthy of them, but if you have high ecpextations you value yourself as a person, so of course goods things will happen......its sorta twisted thinking, hah, hopefully you get my anaylisis.
Patti