Sunday, November 22, 2009

THE DISINTERESTED 48/365



"Nothing holds my interest unless it's about me and in that case, I generally like to do all of the talking. If you have something to say that concerns me...keep it to yourself, because you'll just be wasting your breath.

On the other hand, you seem to have so much breath, that wasting it may not be an issue. In that case, may I suggest you consider a "Breath Conservation" program? You'll learn to use it only when someone is REALLY listening."

My Reflection:

It's interesting that the times I feel like I'm not being heard are usually the times when I'm trying to get someone to hear what I have to say about THEM. I'm so convinced that what I'm saying is in THEIR best interest, that I'm like a preacher on a pulpit and I'm not going to come down until they've HEARD me.

After a long diatribe, I usually end up saying to myself, "Sue, you're just wasting your breath." But, if I'm wasting my breath, is it because they're not listening or because I haven't stopped talking long enough... to become the "listener."

Question:
Why would someone be interested in what you have to say?


No comments: