Friday, November 6, 2009

THE "trying to be" HAPPY FACE 32/365

"I'm trying, I'm trying really hard but "happy" just isn't showing up for me right now, I know I look like I'm supposed to be happy but I'm not always that kind of face. Sometimes I feel kind of blah....like now for instance...right now I feel blah.

If it's so important to you for me to look happy then why don't you do something to put a smile on my face? I can think of a number of things but it would be more meaningful if YOU thought of them. Otherwise, I'd just be trying to make myself happy and why would I want to do that?

My Reflection:

I know I'm supposed to be responsible for my own happiness - but what does that mean exactly? Do I make myself happy at the expense of others? No...that actually accomplishes the opposite. So, do I make others happy and then feel the joy from that? Well...that works fairly well unless the happiness of the other person is at the expense of my own.

Perhaps a clear definition of what "makes me happy" is a good place to start. I'm sure it's finding a balance between my own happiness AND the happiness of others and integrating the two in some way. While I do enjoy making others happy - I've learned that to exclude myself from that group is a dangerous way to go. Resentment can be the ugly bi-product of that choice and that's much harder to get rid of than disappointing others.

Question:
Who makes you happy?

No comments: