Sunday, November 1, 2009

THE WORRY WART 27/365



"I don't know...do you think it's going to work out okay? I'm not sure - I mean, what if it doesn't - what if doesn't work out the way it's supposed to...what do I do then? I wish I knew what was going to happen...if I knew for sure maybe I could prepare for it - then it wouldn’t be so bad. Well...maybe it would be bad but then I could just start worrying about what’s really going to happen instead of what I think might happen.”


My Reflection:


Sometimes, I think the worst part of any situation is not knowing how it's going to turn out. I think I could deal with almost anything if I knew what the outcome was going to be.


But if I know the outcome, would I ever be motivated to take action? Or, would I forever be changing my plans in search of a better one?


Maybe the "outcome" isn't really as important as I think it is. After all, some of the most meaningful parts of my life are the parts that consist of the obstacles I’ve had to overcome or the fears I've had to face. Knowing the outcome would certainly remove the obstacles and eliminate the fears - but wouldn’t it also take away the sweet taste of victory and the sense of pride that is felt at meeting the challenge?


Maybe “victory” lies not in the outcome but in our willingness to face the obstacles along the way. And if “victory” isn't in the outcome then perhaps "defeat" isn't either.


Question:

What outcomes are you worried about?

No comments: