Sunday, December 6, 2009

THE RUMINATOR - 62/365


"I always look like this when I'm thinking. Actually, I'm not thinking at all I'm just holding these three un-connected thoughts in my head and letting them "be" - sort of like resting dough before putting it in the oven. If I don't let it rest, I'll end up with a "half-baked" idea and then I'll have to start all over again."

My Reflection:

The hardest thing for me to do creatively is to "let go." Holding a thought or an idea without trying to come to some conclusion takes a certain amount of faith on my part.

There was a time I had no faith whatsoever. I'd wrestle with a problem all night if necessary and in the end, I'd have an answer but it usually wasn't a very satisfactory one. I'd feel like I had lost the match but I didn't know why.

I don't sky dive but I imagine that having the "faith" to "ruminate" - is like trusting that the parachute you are wearing will open when you jump.

Perhaps I need to learn to hold on to possibilities while letting go of the outcome.


Question:
How willing are you to "let go?"

No comments: