Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Three Sleeping Moons



Three Sleeping Moons is very near completion.  I have been working on it for almost a year and had hopes of competing it by October 9th as that is the anniversary date of my sister's death.  I don't know if that's going to be possible but perhaps it's really not that important anyway. Completing the piece won't be nearly as meaningful as the process of creating it has been.

From the moment I positioned the three sleeping faces onto the fabric, I realized their significance. It was clear to me they represented my relationship with the two most important and influential women in my life; both of whom died within three months of each other in 2010.

I have learned over this past year that grief can open the door to creativity and along with it the opportunity to reconnect (in a different way) with someone who is no longer in physical form.

How fortunate I am to have had 60 years with two amazing women who always had my back and who will continue to live on in my heart.

No comments: