Thursday, October 22, 2009

THE SKEPTIC - 17/365

"Hmm....I'm not so sure about that. Seems to me you may not have enough facts to prove that point. I need some hard facts not just gut instinct. How do I know you have a gut that's healthy enough to produce a decent instinct anyway? Besides, isn't an instinct kind of like "wishful thinking"?

For example, you want something to go a certain way and you want it so badly that your brain starts yapping at your gut to "go for it, go for it, go for it...." and then before you know it, you've made some hair brained decision that puts you in a sand trap. No sir, that's not for me...hard facts - that's all I'll take - nothing more - nothing less."

My Reflection:

I'm not much of a "fact person." I don't retain them for one thing and while they are important, I usually go on my own instincts based on prior patterns. That usually works for me unless it doesn't work and then I try and go for the facts but the problem is I don't always trust them.

Funny, some people don't trust gut instincts and some aren't sure about the facts. Are the facts REALLY the facts? Or...are they simply pieces of information put together in a way that kind of resembles how The Skeptic thinks about "gut instincts?" Like when a new drug is introduced with all kinds of positive facts and it's not until ten years later that we find out the "facts" are a little skewed.

Maybe there has to be a healthy balance of both. Uncover as many facts as we can then trust our gut instinct to point us in the right direction. Trusting my instincts and finding solid facts is a skill I'm constantly trying to hone.

Question:
What do you rely on?

No comments: